Able to last weeks without food, but only DAYS without water…
The human body, of which is made up of 55-75% water is heavily reliant on a continual supply of this vital nutrient to ensure the regular functions of the body are able to be carried out effectively.
Water forms the basis of blood, digestive juices, sweat and is contained in lean muscle, fat, bones etc… You get the picture!
The body cannot store water, and much is lost every day from the lungs, skin urine and faeces. Because of this fresh supplies are required every day, of which depends on our body size, metabolism, weather and activity levels to name a few.
Have a read of the following information to see just how vital water really is for you!
Some Interesting Facts
- The average quantity of water a mature adult loses a day is between 2.5-3 litres. This increases in warmer weather and with prolonged exercise. To balance this out, it is recommended that around 8-10 cups of water are consumed every day – however this will vary for every individual.
- Travelling by air? An air traveller can lose approximately 1.5L of water in just a three hour flight!
- Water is required to maintain the health and integrity of EVERY single cell in the body, as well as the maintenance of the bloodstream.
- Water is a major player in the process of eliminating by-products of the body’s metabolism, excess electrolytes and other substances such as urea.
- Water works as a natural moisturiser of the skin, and works to maintain its texture and appearance.
- Most foods – even those that look hard and dry – contain water. The body can get approximately 20% of its total water requirements from solid foods alone.
- Dehydration occurs when the body’s water content is too low. Symptoms include thirst, headaches and lethargy to name a few and if not corrected can have dire consequences on the body that can result in death!
Much of Australia’s water tap water supply contains a number of additives that greatly benefit humans. Fluoride is added in most areas, and this provides dental health benefits for the community by helping prevent dental decay.
Australia’s water supply is also treated with chlorine – used as a highly efficient disinfectant to kill disease-causing pathogens. The downside of this however is that water may have a slightly chemical/metallic taste – something that may deter people from maintaining a steady level of water consumption.
Lucky for those who are put off by this taste, Think Water Darwin offer a range of water filtration and purification systems to help provide healthy, clean drinking water – free of any foul tastes and ready for you to drink!
Combine this with some simple tips such as squeezing some lemon juice into your water, adding ice blocks into your glass or always keeping a bottle or glass handy and you have no excuses not to drink the amount of water that you require!
Contact us now to see how we can help improve your water drinking experience!Go Back